Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Another Week

 Stealing a little more time from the writing group to post here. Not that I'm really stealing. It's not like they give me an assignment. They just peer pressure me into taking space and time to write whatever I need to. So I guess this counts.

I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but I found out that working from home can lead to feelings of isolation. Especially if you don't really do anything outside of work. So my goal now is to try to find something to do with other people outside of work time. Gaming seems like the perfect idea.

There is the game store downtown that's only 1 bus away from where I'm at now, instead of 3 buses like the place that the gaming Meetup group seems to prefer. But especially since they're a new store, I want to make sure that they have the chance to make money, so I would like to run something that they have in stock.Which is another reason to learn a new game rather than lean on my old ones.

I've actually got a D20 Modern oneshot adventure written and ready to go (Thank you, writing group!). But that game is over 15 years old and there have been 2.5 editions of D&D that have come out since then. So despite my strange affection for it, that's going to wait for another opportunity.

One of the other things that holds me back is my feeling that I need to put a lot of work into a campaign before I unveil it. Not necessarily having the whole thing scripted or whatever, but at least to a point where I'm not caught too unawares by whatever the players come up with. So even though I have one adventure written for d20 Modern which could certainly be the start of a campaign, I feel like I should have at least one more adventure in the can before I start advertising it as a campaign.

My candidates (outside of Adventures in Oz, of course) are some flavor of Fate and Fallout.

I've got the It's Not My Fault cards, which are basically a Fate Accelerated Session 0 in a box, which is a super neat idea on top of the super neat idea that is Fate Accelerated, a tidy little ruleset in a neat little book for only $5. But my need to be prepared makes it hard for me to dive into that with both feet. Ideas are pending.

I do have a copy of the Fallout RPG by Modiphius. It uses a version of the 2d20 System that is their house system. Also used in their Star Trek RPG, which I do have in a box somewhere. So if I'm going to use the Modiphius rules, Fallout is my candidate.

The fact that it's coming up on 5 years since I put most of my collection in boxes is disheartening. It means that a lot of stuff that was at my fingertips for a good long time has been unreachable for long enough that part of me has written it off.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...