Sunday, April 28, 2019

#AprilTTRPGMaker Day 7 How To Increase Accessibillity?

(I realize that April is almost up and I'm nowhere near done with this list. But the prompts are useful and I need something to get me back into the habit and practice of blogging, and hopefully even writing and designing again.)

How to increase accessibility?

The first of the "social justice" questions on the list. While I have been labelled a "social justice warrior" by some, I'm going to go ahead and say that I don't have a good answer for this one. While I have done my best to make sure that my work was accessible in a conventional sense, with clear text and wide availability, I have made no steps to ensure that it would be accessible to people with disabilities.

While not deliberate, that clear text may be an advantage for a blind person using an app to read the text aloud. Though the silly Oz names might cause some stumbling. That just makes me wonder if there were some way to encode pronunciation into the document to make that go more easily.

But I am glad that other people are working to make the world more accessible. Virtual tabletops like Roll20 not only let us play with people from all over, they let people with mobility issues who can't get to the game store or the GM's house play. More primitive online play formats like chat RPs and play-by-post mean that Deaf or hard of hearing people can game. And there's even an app intended to help people with hearing loss follow ordinary conversations which could be readily used to help that person participate at a gaming table.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...