Thursday, August 6, 2020

RPGaDaY 2020 # 6 Couple

I've already told the story of how gaming brought my wife and I together. And we've gamed with numerous other couples throughout our gaming careers.

A couple, of course, doesn't have to mean a couple of people. It can also be a couple of things.

My kingdom building campaign has an inn as the home base. I could have been a jerk and just dropped the party into the middle of that forest I mentioned yesterday and forced them to find/make shelter and food, but that would have been a bit much. The inn also allows me to do my old school troupe style thing by serving as a central point that characters convene at to begin and end the session. (The inn is also magic, offering nearly infinite character storage space.)

Inns back in the olden days often had colorful names that were 2 things. I got a random name for the inn when I was just starting out, which was the Serpent and Unicorn Inn. The name of the inn was these two things for a good long time.

Then I got out into the world, at least a little bit, and joined a D&D game run by a pretty cool guy named Julian. The tavern in the starting area of his campaign was simply known as the Food & Drink Inn. Another combination of 2 things.

It was perfect! I had been trying to design the world with as little intention as possible. My goal was not to push a plot onto the players, but to let them find and create the plot themselves. By giving the 1 established, created thing in the setting the most boring, generic name in existence, it really helped set the tone I was going for.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...