Friday, August 12, 2022

RPGaDay #12 Why did you start RPGing?

 This is a really tricky question.

I don't know that I had many of the hallmarks of the budding gamer in my youth. I was an avid reader, but I preferred science fiction to fantasy. I was more interested in the logic of things than any sense of magic or wonder.

Perhaps that's what did it. Once I was exposed to GURPS through my future wife and my local gaming stores, I had to understand the logic of it. I had to understand how it worked and I had to see it in motion. I needed an "older cousin" (this is starting to become a theme) to guide me across the final leaps of logic to "getting it."

The other thing was that RPGs helped me make friends. As an introvert, especially then, I was not great at small talk. Having a game to play and talk about made the whole process easier. Especially as I made that early leap to GMing, that became a magnet for people and a few of those people became friends.

So I think there's a reason that I started, and a separate reason why I kept playing.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...