Thursday, August 4, 2011

Oz Character of the Month: The Wizard (Again)

First of all, thank you to everyone who participated in the poll last month. A few more responses than the last one, which I find encouraging. It looks like L. Frank Baum is the winner as everyone's favorite Oz author. 9 out of 15 votes went to him. His successor on the Famous Forty, Ruth Plumly Thompson, came in second with 3 votes. The number 3 slot goes to James Wallace II, author of the Magician of Oz trilogy with 2 votes. Although he did try to "win" the poll by getting people to vote for him (I may not post much, but I do check my Facebook regularly, James ;) Only one unclaimed vote this time around, so I'm going to give it to Ron Baxley Jr.

Last month's Oz character was a non-magical version of the Wizard. This version is the Wizard from later in the series, after he learned magic from Glinda. Even though this version is technically more experienced than the version from last month, both of them are built using the same rules for starting characters.

If you're wondering why, it's for a couple of reasons. First of all, there really aren't any rules for building advanced characters in the game. The second reason is that point of posting characters in the first place is to show people what types of characters can be built using just the basic rules.

Name: Oscar Zoroaster P.I.N.H.E.A. Diggs
First Appearance: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (though the Wizard didn't learn magic until sometime before The Road to Oz)
Template:Sorcerer
Size: 3

Basic Skills

Athletics: 1
Awareness: 2
Brains: 4
Presence: 4 (The Great and Powerful Oz)
Sneaking: 1
Wits: 2

Traits: Sorcery, Magical Toolkit, Poet

Friends List: Glinda

2 comments:

James C. Wallace II said...

I didn't know it wasn't kosher to advertise the poll on FB... Still though, as non-FF Oz authors go, I'm #1!!!!!!

F. Douglas Wall said...

Advertising the poll is perfectly kosher. I certainly don't mind the traffic. But I did see your post to Ron (since I'm friends with both of you) and I do recall you mentioning "winning" the poll. And yes, you are the top non-FF Oz author, so kudos.

And I'm glad that you got your votes honestly, rather than just voting for yourself a hundred times. I was just giving you a little ribbing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...