Thursday, October 27, 2011

Smith & Tinkering

Believe it or not, I actually am working on Beyond the Deadly Desert (And I'll have a special announcement in that regard in a few days).

One of the things I'm wrangling with is letting players take on the role of inventors like Smith & Tinker, the duo who crafted Tik-Tok. The options that I'm thinking of are:

1) A character who has purchased the Craftsman trait can make wonders given sufficient time and effort.

2) A character who has purchased the Craftsman trait can make wonders by following the basic procedures for making magic items (gather exotic ingredients/spend Oz Points).

3) A character must purchase the Craftsman trait as well as an additional 1-point trait in order to make wonders using the rules for making magic items.

The big question is: How rare are such geniuses? Was Mr. Tinker simply specialized in a different way than Ku-Klip the Tinsmith, did he have access to better materials, or did he have a much greater understanding of his craft?

What do you think?

2 comments:

Greyhawk Grognard said...

I think you need to look at it from the other side of the glass. How many "wonders" were there in Oz? How many Tik-Toks? That will give you a better understanding of how many people should be out there capable of creating them. If such wonders are rare, then those able to create them should be doubly so.

I freely confess my own knowledge of the books is inadequate to answer the question. But hopefully that will help frame it.

F. Douglas Wall said...

Smith & Tinker are largely unique in that they make purely mechanical wonders. Every other unique and nifty doodad in the stories have been magical in some way. So I'll probably wind up going with a 1-point Master Craftsman trait.

Another idea that popped into my head was treating Engineers as Sorcerers with a different justification. Now I can't escape the idea of The Doctor wandering Oz somewhere.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...