Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Has it been that long?

 Well, I had a little breathing room from these weekly updates, which is nice. It feels like I don't do enough or not enough happens to really justify a weekly update. But at the same time, I don't want to lose the habit of blogging again.

I've been playing Magic at Bards & Cards, which is the name of my Friendly Local Gaming Store. It might just be my generation, but I'm very careful about posting "identifying" information freely online. It was probably a few years before I got around to mentioning the name of the city I lived in because of that.

I'm not great at the game, but that's not the point. It's to create a point of contact with other gamers/nerds. And it's doing that rather well.

I also got a chance to play Dungeon Crawl Classics. The gaming Meetup group I belong to posted a Dungeon Crawl Classics one-shot at Bards & Cards, which was something that I just couldn't refuse. The GM was very well prepared, with sheets of pregenerated characters and laminated maps of the scenario's combat encounters. Since it was a pick up game of DCC, the adventure was a "character funnel:" a scenario for large numbers of 0-level characters such that whoever survives achieves 1st level and becomes a proper adventurer.

Everyone started with 4 characters printed on a single sheet of paper. Whenever one died, the GM had a stamp that said "Dead" on it and he would stamp the section of the page that was that character. All of my characters died, but the important thing is that I had fun.

Next week is the monthly Meetup group meeting. I'm bringing the "It's Not My Fault" story starter cards for Fate Accelerated that I've had in my collection for many years, but haven't gotten around to trying out. I've even brought them to the monthly Meetups, but I made the mistake of bringing several other options. I'm a collector, and it also serves as a chance to show off my collection. By bringing multiple game options, I wind up competing with not only the other potential GMs, but also myself. By bringing only 1 game option, it's more likely that I'll actually get to play/run the thing that I bring.

That doesn't make the choice of what to bring much easier. Shortly after I had decided to do "It's Not My Fault," a random conversation on the internet reminded me of another game that I hadn't played in ages and I got excited about it all over again. For a while, I worried that the conversation that got me thinking about this other game (The Great Ork Gods) had been seen by the others in the Meetup group so I would be feel obligated to put off "It's Not My Fault" for at least another month. Then I went over the chat logs, found the conversation and realized that it was far from their prying eyes.

Which gives me something to present for next month.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...