Tuesday, April 16, 2019

#AprilTTRPGMaker Day 4 Favorite Type of Game Scenario

Favorite Type of Game Scenario

As a long time GM, I've written a lot of scenarios, and run more than that. And the main thing I've discovered was something said by Princess Leia in Star Wars: "The more you tighten your grip ... the more ... will slip through your fingers." The scenarios that bomb are the more tightly structured ones. The adventures that present the tabletop equivalent of pixel-bitching. The strongest scenarios that I've run have been the loosest. My longest running campaign didn't even have a plot to speak of, being solely focused on the exploration of a megadungeon (though I do wish that I had fleshed out the world beyond the dungeon).

It all comes down to character agency. Give players the opportunity to take action and make choices and they will make the story their own. Make them spend more time fighting the adventure than the bad guys and you have a recipe for frustration.

1 comment:

Lord Mark said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...