Saturday, August 31, 2019

RPGaDay 2019 #25 Lost


Today’s theme is “Lost.”

While I know I’ve talked about my old megadungeon campaign on this blog, I don’t know if I mentioned what cause it to ultimately die.

One of the reasons that it ran for as long as it did was that I was keeping an open table; Whoever showed up got to play. This might be why I got such a consistent group. They understood that I wasn’t going to hold off if not enough people or not enough of the right people showed up.

But even with such a consistent group, life happens. And life happened to one of my most consistent players, who had been part of the campaign since the very first session. It was because of an event in my campaign that she earned the nickname “Boots.”

Now, if I were a more competent Dungeon Master, I would have kept detailed notes on what the party was doing and where they had been. I had some notes, but the players were the ones who maintained the map. That map wound up being the primary record of what had been explored by the party rather than anything I had behind my screen.

When life happened to Boots, the map went with her. And without that map, I had no idea where they had been and where they hadn’t. We basically had no game without it.

The map was lost, and with it, the campaign.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...