Saturday, August 3, 2019

RPGaDay 2019 Day #3 Share

(I'm skipping ahead just a little bit because what should be today's prompt, "Engage," just wasn't singing for me. I'll come back to it later.)

I am a firm believer in sharing the hobby. And, as I mentioned a couple of days ago, the RPG hobby is increasingly taught, passed down by tradition, rather than discovered. And even though people are discovering it more and more these days thanks to podcasts and whatnot, they still need to be taught.

So I've increasingly found myself as an ambassador of gaming. At my last job, I introduced 2 co-workers to RPGs. The first was my idea. She was someone who was had brought a few fantasy novels to work to read on her break. I was contemplating my megadungeon campaign and convinced her to come by and make a character. She's been gaming with me or other people ever since.

Back in 2017, I initiated a new gamer at his own request. He had found some recorded sessions on YouTube of a Burning Wheel campaign and he was very interested. Unfortunately, my move to San Diego was looming (it loomed for a really long time, which really sucked) so if my Burning Wheel rulebook wasn't packed, it would have taken 20-30 sessions to really let the system sing like both of us wanted to and I didn't think I had the time for it. But I did get him started gaming with lighter games like Fiasco and InSpectres.

And that's not counting all of the people who may have already been gamers, but I introduced new systems and new ideas to them pretty regularly.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...