Saturday, August 31, 2019

RPGaDay 2019 Day #20 Triumph


Today’s theme is “Triumph.”
This was almost another Surprise moment, but it was also an impressive Triumph.

The system was Cartoon Action Hour and the setting was something of my own creation. Psychic insectoid aliens had tried to invade a magically empowered super-civilization several hundred years ago. They fought each other to a standstill. Eventually, both sides lost the ability to rebuild their forces and they settled into an uneasy peace. The campaign revolved around thwarting the efforts of a general who had been sent from the alien homeworld to reignite and ultimately win the war.

We decided that the final session would be a daring attack on the general’s forces. Rather than do elaborate preparation, I let the players take the lead on the narration. I described the flying saucers overhead and one of my players, who was playing an insectoid, decided to climb aboard and commandeer the vessel. It was guided and powered by the pilot’s psychic powers, so he was the only one who could hope to do it.

I assumed that he would use the telekinetic force beams to blow up some target on the ground, or against enemy saucers, but he did something I absolutely did not expect. He flew the craft right into the general, who was on the ground in the town square. My other players did not expect it either. One of them was moving their character closer in order to duel the general.

The real surprise came when I asked the player if their character was bailing out of the saucer at the last moment. He said no. He wanted the moment to be a Heroic Sacrifice. Even though I was running a game that didn’t have mechanics for character death, and I was running that session especially loosely, it wound up being the sessions that resulted in my first character death.

In honor of his heroism, I played The Touch by Stan Bush from the soundtrack for Transformers: The Movie.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...