Tuesday, August 6, 2019

RPGaDay 2019 Day #6 Familiar


Today’s theme is “Familiar.”

This is a very hard theme to write about right now. Although I’ve been living in San Diego for the last 8 months, I still feel like I don’t have my feet under me. I’m living with my in-laws, so my wife and I don’t really have a space to call our own yet. San Diego is so big that, while buses go everywhere, with so much area to cover, it’s hard to get anywhere quickly. Nearly anywhere I want to go is an hour to two hours way. There are two main gaming stores in the city, but I’ve only been to one simply due to logistics. And I haven’t been there recently.

One thing that is rapidly becoming familiar is a coffee shop. I spent some time earlier this month talking about the joys of coffee shop gaming, so I’ve been scouting out coffee shops that would be suitable for a light game. Lestat’s in Hillcrest is a good candidate. About an hour from my current residence and very nice. Open late and lots of room for as many people as may be willing to come.
But there’s another coffee shop that’s even closer. Young Hickory in North Park. Open late. Only a couple of big tables, but the small tables can be pressed together as needed. It also serves canned beer, including an exclusive coffee stout that is quite good. Some people will sing the praises of gaming in a pub or bar, but I am not a fan of bars. I drink sparingly and there’s typically a lot of noise, either blaring music, boisterous conversation or a mix of both, that makes it hard to keep all my wits about me.

While I haven’t gamed at Young Hickory yet, I am here rather regularly. Yes, I am writing this from that coffee shop. As I was scouting it as a potential gaming location, I found that it was playing host to a writer’s group. As you can tell, it’s been a long time since I’ve done any serious writing with any regularity. So, I joined the group and am taking advantage of the opportunity to get this blogfest completed.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...