Saturday, August 31, 2019

RPGaDay 2019 Day #21 Idea


Today’s theme is “Idea.”

Where do I get my ideas from?

One of the things that I have realized about myself is that I’m not big on ideas. I make up for it by being analytical as hell.

For my hypothetical Star Trek sandbox campaign, my concept was to take some very recognizable planet-of-the-week stories and add depth to them to enable them to support a campaign.

One of the more infamous Star Trek tropes is the planet of highly advanced bodiless intelligences. To add a layer of social commentary, I decided that the intelligences are bodiless because they have uploaded themselves into a vast MMORPG. It also adds an obstacle to the story, since the PCs must learn to interact with the virtual world in order to learn anything from the natives.

But the reason that the natives uploaded themselves was to escape a stellar catastrophe that is threatening to happen again. Another group of natives tried to escape in a starship which landed on another planet in the sector. Which means that the party must investigate another planet in order to get the whole story.

The arrival of that starship on the second planet created a cultural contamination that has impacts to this day. That planet is now at a point where they are developing their own warp drive, but they are doing it to reunite with their Star Brothers and literally ascend into heaven. While it looks like the perfect time to initiate First Contact, this planet is not prepared to join the interstellar community. Getting them to disentangle their science and their religion is going to be a long term project.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...