Saturday, August 31, 2019

RPGaDay 2019 Day #26 Calamity


Today’s theme is “Calamity.”

I don’t often deal in calamity in games that I run. I tend to give players room to breathe and consider their actions. My friend Jordan is not so kind.

He ran a game that he described as a “monster hunter” campaign. Our characters were all professional monster hunters of some stripe or another. I based my first character on Sheriff Hopper from Stranger Things, though there is a reason I describe him as my first character in that game.

Our first mission was exploring an offshore oil rig that had gone mysteriously silent. Shortly after we boarded the rig, we were trapped in the middle of a hurricane. (It was a “near-past” historical game and this was Hurricane Katrina.) We did find monsters, but the hurricane made everything more difficult. My character, Harper (original, I know), was the only one who didn’t make it to the rescue boat. It was mostly because he had been hit with a paralytic venom from one of the monsters and was barely able to worm his way along the floor. My wife also played in this game and her character lost a leg to one of the monsters.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...