Saturday, August 12, 2017

RPGaDay 2017 #12 Which RPG has the most inspiring interior art?

As I've said before, Castle Falkenstein's entire presentation is a visual treat. Every page is in glossy color and it uses that at every opportunity.
Since I've already discussed that enough a few years ago, I'm going to tackle an alternate question.

Campaigns: do you prefer set-length or open-ended play?

 As much as I've wanted open-ended campaigns that last for years, most of my gaming life has been with set length, or at least short run, campaigns. I get one or two good ideas, see them to fruition, then move on. For a long time, I saw this as a flaw. I kept hoping that this campaign was going to be the one that grew legs. This one would last past its first story arc and becomes something awesome.

Never happened.

Then I did have a successful long-term campaign. Which died and came back a few times. But ultimately died as the players found other things to do.

And that's really the thing. No matter how much we want to keep everything going forever, life conspires against us. People change. People move. Campaigns die on the vine.

I think the best thing to do is to plan for it. What I really want to do next is an episodic campaign. Run something with a clear end, but that can also be picked up later. So if the group falls apart, there's a satisfying ending, but if things go well, there's something more to do.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...