Friday, August 17, 2018

RPGaDay 2018 #17 Describe The Best Compliment That You've Recieved While Gaming

While I've gotten a number of complements over the years, most of them amount to "Good game" either as a player or GM. However, I think the highest complement I've received is the time I became a cautionary tale.

I've mentioned Kris Newton, podcaster and GM extraordinaire, on this blog before, and I think I've linked to this specific article before as well. But I may not have revealed the part I apparently played in the shape that article took.

As he describes Step 3: The Evil Overlord Game, at one point he mentions the possibility of unanticipated morality or immorality on the part of the characters. He then briefly recounts the story of a Lawful Neutral Monk who almost walked away from a dungeon. The guardian at the entrance of the dungeon did this whole "You shall not pass!" thing and my character just said "Okay."

This almost wound up crashing the session then and there, if it weren't for the paladin in the party deciding that ghostly guardians counted as undead and should be destroyed. So the guardian was defeated and the paladin became the most powerful authority and she said "Onward!"

While Kris has a lesson for GMs in there, it should also be a lesson to players. Sometimes, the GM will present your character with a scenario and your first response will be "Not gonna do it." But if your character walks away from the scenario, they've walked away from the adventure and nobody's going to have fun that session, least of all you. That's when you start asking yourself "I know my character wouldn't normally go in for this, but if I walk away from it, I'm walking away from the game. So I'm going to come up with a reason for my character to go on this adventure."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...