Wednesday, August 29, 2018

RPGaDay 2018 #29 Share A Friendship You Have Because Of RPGs

As I've said earlier this month, gaming has forced me to be social to a degree that I wouldn't otherwise be. So it's actually fair to say that gaming is the reason I have friends at all.

There's Boots, a former co-worker (she's working someplace much better now), who had an interest in fantasy fiction, but had never played an RPG. She was one of the founding members of my megadungeon campaign and the nickname Boots is actually inspired by her first character in that campaign. That character unfortunately died in my career-first party wipe. I'm very glad she chose to stick around and make a cadre of new characters that kept having adventures in that megadungeon.

Erik is another player from the megadungeon game. He's actually an unreformed first edition player. While I was experimenting with OSR gaming, he was an old hand with the original material. He was also kind enough to invite me to play in his own campaign which is still going on.

Jordan is a story on his own. I first met him probably about 15 years ago when he was a gawky teenager. This was when I was running games at the nearby University's gaming club, even though I wasn't a student. He wasn't either. Nobody minded. The club president was in one of my games for a time.

Like many people I've gamed with, I was Jordan's first GM and introduced him to a variety of RPG systems, including GURPS. After running games for several years, I eventually drifted away from the club, at least partly because it was in another city and I don't drive. It was usually possible to catch a ride with someone else from my city, or make the offer of gas money.

But it also meant that I lost touch with Jordan for a time. I only reconnected with him about a year ago to discover a very different person. He's had quite a life in the years between. One thing that has stayed the same with him however, is that he is still a gamer, running his own GURPS campaigns. It was a fun twist to have the person I introduced to gaming all those years ago now be my GM.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...