Sunday, August 16, 2020

RPGaDay 2020 #14 Dramatic

 The last few days haven't given me a lot of time for writing. I don't know if I'll be able to make it up or if I'll come out short this year. I'm going to try.

I've usually been pretty bad about stirring up drama between characters. The one time I tried was kind of a disaster.

It was GURPS Technomancer, a setting in which magic took the role that atomic power did in the latter half of the 20th Century. One of the effects of this is that people started having not-quite-human children, called changelings. They often appeared as various human-animal hybrids. The main ones I remember off the top of my head were fox people and spider people.

Since this was GURPS, and a setting where magic was available, nearly every character poured as many of their points as they could into every possible spell. Since playing a non-human cost points, no one was really interested. Except for one player. He was one of those overly excitable anime fans and I guess he wanted a kitsune sort of character.

It was right about this time that I bought GURPS Martial Arts and made the detailed combat moves available to my players. Which also meant that I created a plot surrounding a martial arts tournament. I decided that someone was trying to rig the tournament because they were racist against changelings. Which meant that every time I had an NPC say something denigrating about changelings, I had one player feel it.

He clearly thought I was picking on him, because he told me off after one session and stormed off. He didn't come back for the rest of the campaign. He was more a friend of a friend, so I didn't see him for probably a few years after that.

When we did reconnect, it was for another game I ran that went moderately well. Neither of us brought up the old incident, so it seems to be water under the bridge.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...