Tuesday, August 4, 2020

RPGadAY 2020 #4 Tribute

Tributes aren't something that I really do. I'm more about the homage.

In my mind, a tribute is specific, while homage is general. For example, if I were to run a Star Trek campaign in which the characters went to a specific planet originally visited by the Enterprise and had to deal with a problem that was directly connected to the events of that original episode, that would be a tribute. But if my starship crew went to a different planet that had a problem that was similar to the original episode, that would be an homage.

I think it's especially important to lean into homage rather than tribute when dealing with an existing property, like Star Trek or Oz. There's a tendency to cling to the source material that can stifle creativity. And in both of these franchises, novelty is life. Make sure there are similarities and connections to what has come before, but resist the urge to re-hash and revisit what has gone before.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...