Saturday, August 8, 2020

RPGaDay 2020 #8 Light

 A slightly easier prompt for me right now.

Old School games tend to be very focused on the map. One of the core themes is exploration, so it only makes sense. I'm sure I've told the story of how my long-running megadungeon campaign finally fell apart because of issues with the map.

My worldbuilding campaign is no different. It's built primarily around a hexgrid overland map. If I were running this as an in-person game, that map would be something that I would bring to the session and lay out on the table. Everyone would be able to see the whole thing unless I took pains to conceal portions of the map.

As a digital map on Roll20, I have a bit more flexibility. The "Fog of War" feature is really great. I may be gushing about something stupid and obvious, but it's far better than what I could present at a physical table.

Along with exploration, it also touches on another theme of Old School gaming: Resource Management. Specifically time management. Taking time to explore and reveal sections of the map is time that the party could be using to accomplish other tasks. Only a small section of a very large map has been revealed, but as things progress, more and more of the world will come to light. (See what I did there?)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...