Saturday, August 1, 2020

RPGaDay 2020 #1 Beginning

As per usual, I've been terrible keeping up the blog. But every time August rolls around, I at least have to try to complete the RPGaDay challenge.

It's hard to find something new to say on the subject of beginnings. It's one of my recurring themes on this blog. How to be a new player. How to be a new Game Master. How to start a campaign. Good games to play if you're just starting out (Hint: I wrote one).

I think the one sort of beginning I haven't really talked about is starting over. I'm not sure if I have any advice on the subject because I still feel like I'm in the middle of the process.

I moved to the San Diego area a year and a half ago. 800 miles from all of my established gaming friends. Any friends, really.

It's been pretty uphill, but some good gaming has taken place. I wouldn't say that I had fully settled in because I wasn't running a regular campaign. Being a GM is in my blood now. I'd run a few session of this or that. Usually something pretty light that didn't take a lot of work. I know I've mentioned some big dream campaigns, but those take big effort to implement.

Then the virus hit. All in-person gaming was canceled for the foreseeable future. It wasn't until it became absolutely necessary that I took to online gaming. Starting over all over again.

I'm adapting. I continue to adapt. But it is not easy and not always fun.

1 comment:

Adam Dickstein said...

I am happy to hear you're making the attempt.

I am experiencing something similar with my business. Every time I've gotten close to making it feel like I really have a company, one client moves, another cancels because they've lost their job, and still another cuts their needs in half. All in rapid succession. This has happened numerous times over the last three years.

In February I was, for the first time, poised to me a profit. I had a nice group of clients, added an old one who came but and a new one who needed me everyday. Then...pandemic.

Like you I am now starting over, virtually from scratch. Again.

Is it worth it?

I have to believe yes. It's what I want to do.

If GMing is something you want to do, do it. Don't let anything stop you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...