Wednesday, August 3, 2016

RPGaDay 2016 #3 Proudest Character Moment (or not)

This is one of the tricky questions this year. As someone who's been the GM more often than not, I don't have a lot of experience playing a character. Which means that I don't have a lot of Crowning Moment of Awesome-type stories. In fact, I told all my good character stories 2 years ago, and haven't picked up any new ones since.

So instead of that, I'm going to bring back the Day 3 topic from last year: Favorite new game of the last 12 months.

This year, I would have to say that my favorite new game would be the new Star Wars games from Fantasy Flight Games. They released 3 separate core books, each with a focus on a different aspect of the Star Wars universe. Edge of the Empire (smugglers and bounty hunters), Age of Rebellion (The Rebel Alliance), and Force and Destiny (Jedi and Force users).

I actually liked the three distinct core books. As I've said on my blog previously, a successful game is one that addresses the campaign level, where players and GMs decide what goes on at the table. So the fact that they've those three big campaign foci of the Star Wars setting and gave them each room to breathe is a plus in my book.

Keeping Jedi and the Force off to one side is also a good thing. One of the complaints of previous Star Wars RPGs was that the Force was frequently imbalanced compared to other abilities and character types. While I believe that they addressed this pretty well, at least in part by giving every other character type cool abilities, GMs who don't want to deal with the Force don't have to.

Long time readers may remember the demo game I played at DunDraCon a number of years back with the wacky dice that gave out too much information for the GM to deal with. The main thing that brought me around on the concept of the dice was listening to the One Shot podcast play it. They actually took the time to use all of the information the dice gave out and made a very entertaining show of it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...