Friday, August 9, 2019

RPGaDay 2019 Day #9 Friendship


Today’s theme is “Friendship.”

A very apt theme, since gaming is inherently social. It’s fair to say that most of my friends have come from my gaming career. I’m an introvert by nature, but it’s my love of gaming and desire to game that has pushed me out into the world at large.

Gaming is also helpful as a medium of socialization. “Do you want to join my campaign?” is much more specific than “Let’s hang out/get a beer sometime!” It gives you something to do when the conversation dies down and helps inspire new ones. (“Whatever happened to that orc that ran off during our first fight?” “Don’t you remember? We made him emperor a few sessions ago!” “I thought that was the innkeeper’s son in law!” “He was that too! Steve hocked his magic sword to pay for the wedding!”)

In that way, it’s much like the food at a dinner party or the drinks at a pub crawl, though without the side effect of making you loosen your belt before you sit down.

I’ve made friends of many age groups and across the political spectrum through gaming and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...