Saturday, August 24, 2019

RPGaDay 2019 Day #14 Examine


Today’s theme is “Examine.”

It’s important to look back and examine your gaming life and history. Sometimes changes sneak up on you. For example, both of the campaign ideas that I discussed in my Dream post are sandbox style campaigns. That is not common for me. I have historically been more likely to go into a campaign with a story in mind, or at least plot threads for the party to follow.

The big turning point is probably my megadungeon game and my subsequent exposure to the OSR community. Rather than devise a reason to get them into the dungeon, or create villains and schemes, I just told the players “Here’s the dungeon. Go to it.” There’s a degree to which I regret this, since the campaign wound up being entirely focused on the dungeon and the process of kicking down doors. But the players had a lot of fun and it went longer than any other campaign I had ever run before. I’ve since desired the opportunity to try to recapture that magic, either by rebooting that campaign and putting a bit more work into it or doing something like my “ultimate sandbox” concept.

Applying a sandbox concept to a Star Trek campaign also addresses one of the challenges of Star Trek gaming: The Planet of the Week. In a typical Star Trek campaign, I might have to come up with a new planet for every adventure, with a new society and a new challenge for the players. In a sandbox game, I only need to develop a handful of worlds that I could regularly reuse. It winds up being both more and less work. Less work in that I need to come up with fewer new Big Ideas on a regular basis. More work in that I need to think about those ideas with more depth because the players are going to be interacting with them more.

It’s all a new way of thinking for me and I’m interested to see where it goes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...