Thursday, August 31, 2023

RPGaDay 2023 #31 FAVOURITE RPG of all time

I'm going to go ahead and say OSRIC and the OSR.

While I haven't done a lot of dedicated gaming over the last several years, as I've been thinking and planning about campaigns that I could be running, this is what I keep coming back to.

Part of it is the feeling of accessibility. You're more likely to get players if you say you're running some flavor of D&D, and it's a flavor of D&D that I've become familiar with.

Secondly, there are the storygame elements. It's a game about killing monsters and taking their stuff and that's supported by the mechanics. It can feel janky and limited if you try to treat it as a generic game, but let it exist in its element and it can sing.

Third, there's the wealth of resources. Not only could I run entire campaigns of published modules from nearly every decade, but there are also setting creation and random generator tools for every need.

There are other games that I enjoy playing and other games that I'm eager to try. But in terms of that go-to, pick up like you never left game, for me that's OSRIC.

Fiasco also hits a lot of those points, being easy to pick up and amazing at doing what it does. I think the only reason OSRIC is edging it out right now is that I've played Fiasco more recently, and it's not terribly easy to do a Fiasco campaign.

I have yet to run a campaign this year, in spite of it being one of my New Year's Resolutions.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...