Wednesday, August 9, 2023

RPGaDay 2023 #9 Favourite DICE

Probably my favorite dice came in a giant box a number of years ago.

This was before I moved down to San Diego, and my brother was visiting. We spent some time catching up, but it turns out that since he lives right in the Seattle area, he attended the PAX convention that year. While he's more of a computer/video gamer, PAX has something for everyone, including stuff for tabletop gamers like me.

On the last day of the convention, he told me, he was touring the dealer's room and noticed the dice booth. Along with neat little plastic boxes with dice sets, and silly loose dice, there was also a bin of scoopable dice. For a certain fee, you could scoop a coffee cup and walk away with all of the dice you catch. A slightly higher fee would let you do the same with a beer pitcher.

Being the last day of PAX, the bin was running pretty low. Thinking of me, he said to the person running the booth "I know you don't want to carry those extra loose dice home with you. What would it take to sell me just the remainder of the dice in that bin?" Since it was the last day of the con, and the vendor didn't want to carry that home with them, they worked out an equitable arrangement that left him with a box full of nerd dice.

While his company was the most valuable present, the box full of nerd dice was a very nice bonus.

Over the last year, I've been bringing the box to my Meetup group meetings and sharing them with the people who come. I think helps new people feel welcome, and definitely makes the dice goblins happy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...