Tuesday, August 1, 2023

RPGaDay 2023 # 1 FIRST RPG played (this year)

The first game I played this year was at the January general Meetup of the San Diego Roleplaying Association.

As is typical, there's a period of hanging out and catching up with everyone, meeting the new faces and grabbing some lunch. Although the prices have gone up in the past year, the location still has a very reasonable lunch menu.

But then, it's time to game. Prospective GMs are encouraged to come up in front of the gathering and pitch the game they would like to run. I think I had tried to pitch my "All Outta Candy Canes" one last time. (I should have it ready for this Christmas season, I'm sure), but got no takers.

So I went with one of the other games that was on offer. One of the other regular GMs, named John, was offering a one shot using GeneSys, the generic version of the system underlying the current Star Wars RPGs, set in the setting of the Dragon Prince animated series. (There is an officially licensed Dragin Prince RPG that uses the Cortex Prime system.) 

I recall that my character was a human sorcerer using Dark Magic.Mostly because the Dark Magic spells are English words and phrases spoken backwards, Zatanna-style.

I wasn't expecting to play a GeneSys game, so I didn't bring my GeneSys dice. But there is a convenient dice rolling app, which I grabbed for my phone (I still have it installed, though I haven't used it since).

It was actually my first time playing a GeneSys game since I played that Star Wars demo game back at DunDraCon all those years ago. Back then it felt like the dice were putting out too much information for the GM to handle, but John was a bit more into it, letting us add details as our dice gave us differing amounts of successes, advantages and threats.

Maybe a little too into it. Or maybe it was just a one shot and he wanted to make sure we got to have a complete story. But it felt like we were playing on easy mode. Maybe one day, I'll get to play (or run) a campaign using GenSys.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...