Monday, August 21, 2023

RPGaDay 2023 #21 Favourite LICENSED RPG

While I am duly proud of Adventures in Oz: Fantasy Roleplaying Beyond the Yellow Brick Road, it is not properly licensed. It's based on public domain works, so I didn't need one.

 One thing that impressed me about the Smallville RPG is how it tried to balance its characters. While much ink has been spilled about balancing Superman with Batman, the Smallville RPG was forced to something rather different: They had to balance Superman with Lois Lane. And they did a pretty good job of it.

I also though that the Dresden Files RPG was a good effort. The novels are all written in the first person, from the perspective of Harry Dresden, the only Wizard in the Chicago phone book. To leave Harry out of the game would be missing some of the essential flavor of the novels, but to make a good RPG, you need to have some room for the GM and players to make it their own. Scattering notes and comments from the novel characters throughout the book squared that circle for me, though I am aware that some people disagree with me on that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...