Wednesday, August 16, 2023

RPGaDay 2023 #16 Game you WISH you owned

 Most of the items on my gaming wishlist have ultimately found their way to me, wither by hook, by crook, or by Bundle of Holding.

I think the main thing missing from my collection at this point would GURPS 4e Prime Directive.

I am a big fan of Star Trek, so I try to pick up all fo the Star Trek RPGs, including the AU/spinoff Prime Directive. I am also a long time GURPS guy, so GURPS Prime Directive was an instant buy for me. The only issue was that it came out not long before the Fourth Edition of GURPS came out.

They did respond with a 4e conversion, but it was still early days and therefore less than great. The main thing that suffered was starship combat. They had put a lot of work into meshing their Star Fleet Universe assumptions with the GURPS 3e starship combat system, but that all went away when GURPS 4e came out without the depth that 3e had developed over the years. There were cursory vehicle rules in the main 4e books, and it would be a while until 4e got that developed, so they sorta limped along with one of their main draws (big ships like the Enterprise) sadly missing.

In the intervening years, it looks like they have found some degree of their footing. There's a new core book for GURPS Prime Directive 4e that's a two volume set. There are more mature starship rules for core GURPS 4e, and it looks like they have made their way into the Prime Directive Universe/

Now I just need to develop the disposable cash to pay for it,. And then maybe get a group to play it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...