Saturday, August 31, 2019

RPGaDay 2019 Day #27 Vast


Today’s theme is “Vast.”

This is my opportunity to talk about my megadungeon and potential hexcrawl campaigns. Because one thing that sets a megadungeon or hexcrawl apart from any other campaign type is its sheer size. This allows players to have a large amount of agency even though the campaign can be very structured. The party can kick down any door they like in the megadungeon and I have a map key that tells me what’s behind it. The party can explore any hex in the hexmap and I will have some notes, whether that’s a full dungeon, a city, or just a unique random encounter table.

The big challenge with such a campaign is the amount of information that you must generate to make it work. I was fortunate with my megadungeon campaign, in that I had a working megadungeon from the start in the form of the Castle of the Mad Archmage. While the map for my hexcrawl doesn’t have a lot of civilization on it, it does have many other features. It has terrain that the party must navigate as they explore.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...