Monday, August 7, 2017

RPGaDay 2017 #7 What was your most impactful RPG session?

It's funny that for all the time I've spent gaming, I've had very few sessions that I would call "impactful." There's been so much time spent in that "just having fun" mode that deep, emotional roleplaying moments just haven't been in the cards for me.

But I have had a couple.

In the Fate Star Wars game I played in at DunDraCon a few years back, each player was given a backstory that they got to fill in pieces of themselves. On my character, I was told that I made a fateful action in my past that set me on my path. As play progressed, one of the NPCs pointed out my fateful action and suggested that it may have been the wrong course of action for me to take. It was quite a shock to go into this scenario thinking of my character as a Big Damn Hero in her own way, only to find out that it might not be true. It actually got some real, non-roleplayed emotions out of me.

The Fiasco Fallout game that I played last year had a different, very interesting impact on me. In that session, I wound up with significant leverage over one of the other characters, which I then used to destroy their relationship with the other character in the group. That's something that I had never done as a player or GM. In a traditional, longer game, you don't really want to do that because then the group has to live with the consequences of that action. Also, the sort of casual adventure gaming that we'd been doing didn't really allow for stuff to build up to the point that it was interesting or useful to smash them down like that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...