Tuesday, August 14, 2018

RPGaDay 2018 #14 Describe A Failure That Became Amazing

While I might have some stories of dice rolls that really changed the game, again the GM perspective rears its head.

This was a campaign that nearly ended not long after it began. I had started a new campaign to try out the D6 System. I had gotten the books at DunDraCon and was interested in giving it a go. Since it was just a rule set, it didn't have a setting tied to it. I had to come up with that myself. It was actually my first serious try at that, and I think things were pretty good on that front. (I had a pretty good premise, anyway, with a ways to go for it to be an actual setting. But that's a separate story.)

But during the first couple of sessions, one or two of the players got very vocal about their dislike of the rules. It's been so long, I can't remember what the complaints were, but we were spending more time arguing about the rules than playing the game. It wasn't particularly heated, but it was persistent.

Looking over my options and trying to decide what would be the most painless option to switch the campaign to midstream, I wound up converting the campaign to Cartoon Action Hour. And once I did, everyone started playing the game and having fun. It actually wound up having some of my favorite gaming moments.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...