Friday, August 3, 2018

RPGaDay 2018 #2 What Do You Look For In An RPG?

There was a time that I would buy nearly anything and everything RPG. I was hungry for new ideas, new possibilities. But my tastes, and my budget, have tamed over the years.

These days, I put a little more thought into what I buy. I'm still interested in new ideas, but my exposure to all the old "new" ideas means that I'm just a little bit jaded. Have you found a new way to tell a story or just a new way to roll dice?


The other thing I look for is coherence. Does the designer understand the rules they've written? Do the rules succeed in creating the sort of game that the designer says it will? Does it fail because it's incoherent or because the designer couldn't effectively communicate what they were trying to do?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...