Thursday, August 16, 2018

RPGaDay 2018 #16 Your Plans For Your Next Game

As of now, I'm looking forward to a First Edition D&D session tomorrow, playing through the Slavers adventure arc with my 5th level wizard. We're on our way to their stronghold and don't really know what to expect once we get there. Should be exciting.

My Sunday game has been 5e D&D, which we just wrapped up. I think the GM was looking towards running a GURPS game in his custom superhero universe this week. I have a couple of characters that I could bring to this, but I think I'm going to go with Fishman Bob.

This GM has something of a tradition that if someone forgets their character sheet for a session, they have to play the back up character. This character is built before the game begins and they are designed to be terrible. For the supers game, this was Fishman Bob. He had the ability to make fish psychic. Basically, he could use a variety of psychic powers, but he had to channel them through various fish.

It's been long enough that I don't recall the specific circumstances, but I opted to switch out my character so that I could play Fishman Bob. It was a choice on my part and not one that the GM expected. So I played through that story arc as Fishman Bob and had a lot of fun. His powers were useful and entertaining in use. Plus, my in-character voice was basically a Latka impression.

For games that I would like to run in the future, I have some big plans that I'm waiting on. I'm planning on moving over the next few months, so anything particularly ambitious would have to wait.

I've got some ideas for a sandbox style Star Trek campaign that I've taken to calling "Deep Space Nine on a ship." The setting is persistent and actions that you take to solve one problem could wind up causing trouble later.

Another idea I had was an OSR kingdom building game. It really comes out of two things that I have come to learn. First of all, I'm not creative. If you need a big, cool, original idea, don't come to me. I'm not going to have it. Much of my "creative" work is actually more analysis and conjecture.

Secondly, the key to running a long term campaign is actually to run several campaigns. If you've ever met a grognard who claims to be running the same campaign for the last 10 or 20 years, they're lying to you. At least a little bit. It's far more likely that they've gone through the same vagaries of play time and keeping people together that every group has. But what they have done is kept notes and details and let each group and each session inform the setting and narrative as a whole. So even if they've gone for periods without running their campaign, once they start again, it's pulling from the same maps and notes that they've used and kept for the last decade and that's what gives them their claim to continuity.

So my plan is to run a game where my players build my campaign world for me. But rather than do it in a modern indie-style, with each player building out their home kingdom and adding details to the setting on their whim, I'm going OSR. Once an OSR character gets high enough level, they get the opportunity to build a keep or a wizard's tower or similar that they can rule from.

There will likely be some degree of boot-strapping to get the whole thing started, but once it happens, I could be running a campaign where the party is based out of a city built and named by another character from a session I ran years ago.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...