Friday, August 19, 2022

RPGaDay 2022 #19 Why has your favourite game stayed with you?

I think the game that has stayed with me the longest, at least most recently would have to be OSR D&D.

One of the big reasons is that I was actively using the materials as everything got boxed up for my move. My prior favorite game, GURPS, wound up in boxes so I couldn't read them at leisure or contemplate what madness could emerge from randomly pulling 3 of the books off my shelf and trying to combine them.

OSRIC and the Castle of the Mad Archmage gave me the longest campaign that I've ever had the pleasure of running. There were things that I wish I would have done better, but it was a lot of fun and something that I had never done before.

I think the reasons that it went on as long as it did, and why I want to go back to that well even though I'm not a fantasy fan or a modern D&D guy, is that I didn't have to prepare a story. I had content. I had a setting (more of less). But I didn't sweat the story. The story was what came out of the session, not anything that I put into it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...