Friday, August 5, 2022

RPGaDay 2022 #5 Why will they like this game?

 I think this question is assuming that my prior posts have built up some sort of narrative about introducing someone to gaming. But since I didn't do that, I'll just have to improvise.

If I am introducing someone to RPGs, I will try to find a game that they will like. If someone is an Oz fan, I am more than happy to run Adventures in Oz: Fantasy Roleplaying Beyond the Yellow Brick Road. Fantasy fans will have me breaking out D&D or some other fantasy game. Trekkies will be invited to play in a Star Trek campaign.

More often, the process works somewhat in reverse. I'll decide the game that I'm going to run and recruit players based on that game. If I want to run D&D (preferably OSR), I will look for fantasy fans in my social circles to recruit. When I finally get around to writing a Star Trek campaign, my Trekkie friends will be first to know.

If I know that I'll be someone's first Game Master, I will make the effort to be supportive and talk them through their options for character creation and during play. Hopefully this ensures that they have a good time and are more likely to play in the next session or the next game I run.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...