Monday, August 22, 2022

RPGaDay 2022 #22 Who is your current character?

I don't get too many chances to play, so let's explore the process of creating an NPC as a GM.

I've talked about my dream of running that sort of long term, sandbox campaign, but I haven't talked about the work that I've done so far on it.

As much as possible, I've tried to lean on random results for my initial conditions. The map is randomly generated and randomly generated dungeons are placed randomly across it. As the party explores the map, they will experience random encounters. And to make sure that I'm prepared for these encounters, I've got a selection of them rolled in advance.

This is very important for encounters with intelligent creatures or creatures that are in their lair, since both of those can add complication. So imagine my surprise when one of the encounters I rolled was for an intelligent creature in their lair. Now I had to roll up a random description and personality, as well as a random treasure hoard.

The result wound up being quite fun.

Ealdred the werebear has a bear companion named Gary Hancey that is basically an enormous overly-friendly dog. Her goal is to be a ruler some day, though whether this puts her with or against the PCs has yet to be seen. As of yet, she has a positive reaction towards them and charm or flattery could make her willing to ally herself with them.

Among her personal effects, she has a potion as well as a good amount of alchemist's supplies. While I'm not using a skill system, I decided that it would be fun to let her be an alchemist.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...