Wednesday, August 21, 2024

RPGaDay 2024 #21 Classic Campaign

It seems like the campaign that dominates my thinking is my Castle of the Mad Archmage megadungeon campaign. I've run other campaigns before then, though not a heck of a lot after. I did fulfill my New Year's resolution last year by running a campaign of InSpectres consisting of two sessions with continuity between them. I have yet to meet that target this year, though I'm actually playing in a Blades in the Dark campaign that's gone on for about 4 sessions so far.

Before then, I think my favorite campaign would have to be my Cartoon Action Hour Martians vs. Atlantis campaign. It was just a couple of ideas and the need to keep my players entertained every session. And that gave us treasures like Xian Calcus the master of interpretive dance, the double-decker wolves, and an epic finale complete with a heroic sacrifice.

I tried revisiting that setting a couple of times, but I stumbled every time. Part of it might have been that I was trying to take things too seriously. More notably, I didn't have a core activity. No reason for the party to really do anything together. The first campaign had a good inciting incident, which helped a lot, and an interesting Big Bad. Not a perfect substitute for a core activity, but a decent one.

It might be fun to revisit at some point with all that I've learned about GMing in the years since, but it would require a lot more work than I put into it back then.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...