Thursday, August 8, 2024

RPGaDay 2024 #8: An Accessory You Appreciate

 I think I already mentioned these items in my "Good Form" post, but the Noteboard and reusable index cards. The fact that there are games where those can be among the short list of things I need to play is immensely helpful

There's another accessory that isn't really an accessory, but I've found it to be very useful. The game Pandemonium: Adventures in Tabloid World! has a wonderful Instant Scenario Generator within its pages that is great fun. It also meshes well with the way I prefer to run D20 Modern.

I didn't care for the fact that D20 Modern ported in its fantasy content via D&D. D&D is fine as its own thing, but if you expect me to accept its tropes in my modern-day game, we're going to have a problem. But ignoring the potential wealth of content by avoiding crossover is not great either. So treating it as a "tabloid world" is a good compromise. Beholders and displacer beasts are cryptids right alongside Mothman and Bigfoot. That sort of thing.

The really fun thing with the scenario generator is that it offers two levels of plot: What appears to be going on and then what's really going on. And trying to connect those two can be a really great spur to creativity.

This all just reminds me that I need to run D20 Modern again, even though it's 20 years out of date. (Don't @ we about Everyday Heroes.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...