Wednesday, August 7, 2024

RPGaDay 2024 #7 RPG With "Good Form"

 Not quite sure what "good form" means in this context.

I'm going to make my own definition then. I'll say "good form" means the game and everything needed to play it is easily transportable. I've played and run games with lots of books and the whole maps & minis business and have the back troubles to prove it. Games that don't require lots of books or lots of props are to be treasured.

Fate Accelerated fits this criteria. The rulebook is light, I've got a dice bag for Fate dice and the Fate point tokens I got from a Kickstarter. A Noteboard is a pocket sized eraseable playmat that can be very handy for drawing out battle maps on a table whether or not I want to use a grid. I also have a supply of reusable plastic coated index cards for noting Aspects, as well as wet erase pens to mark them. That's enough to play, but I also got the "It's Not My Fault!" scenario starter card decks which add some bulk but also help me create a scenario on the fly.

Fiasco is another good candidate, though it can get bulky. The new card-based version comes in a box that contains everything you need to play, including all of the playset decks from the initial Kickstarter. The original version is still lots of fun though. Props are simple. A box of black dice and a box of white dice. Those reusable index cards and the wet erase pens. Playsets add bulk here. I not only have the playset compilation books, but also a number of playsets that I've downloaded from the internet printed out.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...